Thursday, August 29, 2013

Rudderly Ridiculous...

So, how the PNW (Pacific North West) became a mecca for boat building, I'll never know.  All I wanted to do was fiberglass my effing rudder this weekend and it's raining...  In August!  I managed to get a little done between downpours without electrocuting myself...


I was able to fair both sides to a decent foil shape, and make them symmetrical.  Then I mixed up some of a sailor's best friend, Marine-Tex and filled the voids in the cheap-@$$ plywood I bought.



Tomorrow, I'll see if I can catch a break and do some touch up sanding, then epoxy a layer of fiberglass on at least one side with some West Systems I've been hauling around...

~~(\_~~

For a moment the other night, I thought I was going to upgrade and buy the plans for the take-apart Passagemaker dinghy that CLC sells at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival, because I really like the look of the rig with the jib.  It screams "PIRATE" at me, which is what this is really about after all...;)  Anyway, I came to my senses because I thought that a boat that's 50% longer will be at least 2X the expense to build, rig, etc.  So my plan is to build the Eastport pram and then see if I can sell it for what building a Passagemaker will cost...  That way, somebody gets a good deal on a nice dinghy, I get the experience to build a smaller version first, then I get to apply the aforementioned expertise to the second, larger boat, and I get my easily transportable pirate ship after all!  Kind of reminds me of that guy who started with a paper clip and kept uptrading (is that a word?) until he finally got a house...

NOTE:  By the way, the stick chair got a huge amount of attention at the move the other night!  I had people taking photos of it and asking me to show them how it folds up and testing it themselves...;)  I think that, much like childbirth, once I forget how painful it was, I'll make another one!



No comments:

Post a Comment